Pages

Thursday 17 November 2011

I am still an ordinary boy: Ishant Sharma


With his curly long lock and standing at 6 feet 4 inches, Delhi boy Ishant first caught the public’s attention during the 2007-08 Test series in Australia, especially when he delivered bowling at a pace of 152.6 kph at Adelaide, the fastest ever bowled by an Indian. Though he veered towards serious cricket at the rather tender age of 14 and made his rapid Ranji Trophy debut at 18, Ishant got his chance to play in the big league as a replacement of another pace Prince Munaf Patel. Thereafter, he found a place in the Team India when it was touring Bangladesh in May 2007. And now, he is definitely a rock-star on the ground.



Q: How do you describe your school days?

Ishant Sharma: Whatever the best one can describe about his or her alma-mater! As I studied in Ganga International School at Hiran Kudna, Delhi, I’ll definitely term it as my second home or a temple, where I learned discipline and toughness to go ahead and lead my life. Though I was average at studies, my teachers and buddies supported me a lot at every step in every possible way. Thanks to my principal and the school management, who figured out my bowling-prowess and encouraged and promoted me. Moreover, it was not only me, but our school still has a record pool of budding talents in different sports and extracurricular activities. Many of them are excelling in their respective fields.

Q:
Was there ever a family pressure against cricket?

Ishant Sharma: No. Though I come from a lower middle-class background, my parents never let me feel low. Instead they have been encouraging throughout. However like all middle-class family, they would also advise me to take study seriously. I think my family was much surer of my rising and flourishing future that whenever I asked for sports-equipments and money, they would never say No. Instead, killing their own basic needs they would complete my demands immediately.

Q:
Now, as you are a successful cricketer and buck is raining over you from different quarters, what do you want to pay back or return your parents?

Ishant Sharma: Every success of mine is dedicated to my family. So, what they will ask, my reply will unarguably be ‘Yes’. By the way, no person on the earth can return the hard-earned fortune of his parents. For me, my parents top the priority chart. I feel blessed of being their son.

Q: How has your life changed from an ordinary middle class guy to a celebrity?

Ishant Sharma: I am still an ordinary boy, and satisfied with my down-to-earth status. However, it feels great when I look back to my success stairs. Earlier, I could move freely but now I’ve to think twice before venturing out, as wherever I go I get mobbed. Thanks to the well wishes of my friends, fans, the people of India and the Media or Press that I could achieve this position.

Q: Besides your family, friends, and school, to whom do you owe the credit for your success?

Ishant Sharma:
Undoubtedly, my coach and guru, Shravan Kumar. Whatever I am today at the professional front, the credit goes straightly to Shravan sir, who made me technically profound in bowling and other aspects. Though he lives a low-profile life, every chapter of his coaching paid me. He is quite friendly and more like my parents. His disciplinary approach drove me to this stature.

Q:
Do you believe in God and destiny?

Ishant Sharma: Certainly, yes. The Almighty power plays a paramount role in carving and designing one’s career. God is more like a support-vehicle. If you work hard with sheer dedication, he’ll definitely bail you out to your goal. I am a true God-fearing person and pray to God daily in all his forms.

Q:
How much time do you spend on cricket practice daily?

Ishant Sharma: Earlier, it was 4-6 hours daily but now it depends on the schedule of the matches, tours and locations.

Q: Which have been your favourite cricket ground(s)?

Ishant Sharma: Kotla, because it is in Delhi, where I have been playing since my formative phase of cricket. Eden Gardens, as I am associated with the Kolkata Knight Riders. And the Adelaide, where my pace- attack was first noticed at a global level, which grabbed people’s attention.

Q: Who is your idol?

Ishant Sharma: Mc Grath. He is one of the best pacer in the history of cricket. It is not only his sporting skill but he is also a very nice person by heart. His perfect line and length with variations during delivery, makes him an extraordinary bowler.

Q: If not a cricketer then …?

Ishant Sharma: I never thought of this because I was in school and my timing of selection in the national squad was a bit early unlike many struggling cricketers.

Q: Which format of cricket do you like most; Test, ODI or Twenty20?

Ishant Sharma: It’s quite difficult to choose because every version has its own appeal. The only difference is that both the ODI and T20 emerged in two different eras keeping in view the taste and interest of two respective generations. T20 is super-hit because it matches the mood of today’s rocket-paced life.

Q:
As a celebrity-cricketer now, how do you cope with the alleged controversies?

Ishant Sharma: After becoming famous, it’s a usual phenomenon. So, it is better to ignore them instead of taking seriously. One should focus on his priorities and I follow the same.

Q:
How do you feel when cricket-pundits compare you with the speedsters like Mc Grath, Shoaib Akhtar, Bret Lee, etc.?

Ishant Sharma:
It feels great but I am nothing before them. They are seasoned pacers while I am a beginner. I have a long way to go to parallel their stature.

Q: What keeps you engaged apart from cricket in off time?

Ishant Sharma: Listening to music and watching movies especially comedies and patriotic. Lagaan, Chak De India, Hera Pheri  and Munnabhai series are my all time favourite. Hanging out with friends gives me a great pleasure to share views. I am also passionate of driving and motor-biking.

Q:
What are your aims and targets?

Ishant Sharma: To play as long as I can and make records for my country.

Q: Any message for upcoming players?

Ishant Sharma: Draw an objective or goal. Work hard with maximum capacity and leave rest to the God.

No comments:

Post a Comment